Monday, September 23, 2013

Steps to apply for the Voter ID Card Online ( Indian and NRI )

NRI can visit this link 

For Resident Indian to apply for the Voter ID Card Online  , Kindly follow the simple following steps

Step 1 :  Before applying for Voter ID Card online , Make sure you have a valid Phone Number (Other than Landline Number ) & a email id  & a proper internet connection with good internet speed

Step 2 : Open your web browser ( Preferably either Google chrome or Mozilla Firefox )  in your personal computer

Step 3 :   Type the following in the address bar : and press enter button

Step 4 :  The following page will be displayed in the web browser .


Step 5:
 Since we are applying for the first time for a voter ID Card online , we need to click on New User Registration  . So kindly click on the New User Registration
Step 6 :

Once you click on the new user registration , The following page will be displayed on the screen of your web browser

Step 7 :

 As said earlier , we need a working phone number and email id . So enter your Phone number and Email id
Step 8 :

 Once you finish entering your email id and Phone number , click on the Register button
 Step 9 : Once you click the reister button , a message with a verification number will be sent to your mobile . Wait for some time , it may take 2-5 minutes for getting a verification code to your mobile
Step 10 :

Once you recieve verification Number , enter the verification number in the space provided  and a new page will be loaded as following , once again enter the Verification code as shown in the below image

After Entering the verification code , Enter Proceed 

Step 11 :
The above mentioned page will be loaded if you have entered the valid verification code and once you click on your state the following page will be loaded 


Step 12 ::
Kindly make sure you fill all the details mentioned on the page and click on Submit . You will be notified immediately if you haven't filled anyone of the column's provided . So make sure you fill all the items and once again click on Submit . Once you submit a page will load which will provide a Application ID Number . Save it for further enquires and to track your application status

And You can have a look at the Guidlines for filling the Application for Voter ID card or Form 6
Who can file Form-6
1. First time applicant on attaining age of 18years or more on the first day of January of the year with
reference to which the electoral roll is being revised.
2. Person shifting his / her place of ordinary residence outside the constituency in which he / she is already
When Form-6 can be filed
1. The application can be filed after draft publication of electoral roll of the constituency. The application is to
be filed within the specific days provided for the purpose. Due publicity is given about the above period
when the revision programme is announced.
2. Only one copy of the application is to be filed.
3. Application for inclusion of name can be filed through out the year even when the revision programme is
not going on. During non-revision period, application must be filed in duplicate.
Where to file Form-6
1. During revision period, the application can be filed at the designated locations where the draft electoral roll
is displayed (mostly polling station locations) as well as the Electoral Registration Officer and Assistant
Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency.
2. During other period of the year when revision programme is not going on, the application can be filed only
with the Electoral Registration Officer.
How to Fill the Form-6
1. The application should be addressed to the Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency in which you
seek registration. The name of the constituency should be mentioned in the blank space.
2. Name (With Documentary Proof)
The name as it should appear in the electoral roll and Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) should be
furnished. The full name except the surname should be written in the first box and surname should be
written in the second box. In case you do not have a surname, just write the given name. Caste should not
be mentioned except where the caste name is used as part of the elector’s name or a surname. Honorific
appellations like Shri, Smt. Kumari, Khan, Begum, Pandit etc. should not be mentioned.

3. Age (With Documentary Proof)
The age of the applicant should be eighteen or more on 1st January of the year with reference to which the
electoral roll is being revised. The age should be indicated in years and months.
e.g. A person born on or upto 1/1/1991 will be eligible for inclusion in the electoral roll which is being revised with reference to 1/1/2009. Persons born on 2/1/1991 or thereafter upto 1/1/1992 shall be eligible for inclusion during the next revision with reference to 1/1/2010.

4. Sex
Write your sex in full in the space provided e.g. Male / Female. Eunuchs have to choose from one of these

5. Date of Birth (With Documentary Proof)
Fill up the date of birth in figures in the space provided in dd/mm/yyyy.
Proof of date of birth to be attached are as under:
(i) Birth certificate issued by a Municipal Authorities or district office of the Registrar of
Births & Deaths or Baptism certificate; or
(ii) Birth certificate from the school (Govt. / Recognised) last attended by the applicant or
any other recognised educational institution; or
(iii) Illiterate or semi-illiterate applicant who is not in possession of any of the above
document are required to attach a declaration in prescribed format by either of the
parents already included in the electoral roll in support of the applicants age. The
format will be supplied on demand.
N.B. In the case of applicants born on or after 26.01.1989, only birth certificate issued by the
Municipal Authorities or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths is acceptable.

6. Place of Birth
In case born in India, please mention name of place like Village / Town, District, State.

7. Relation’s Name:
In case of unmarried female applicant, name of Father / Mother is to be mentioned. In case of married
female applicant, name of Husband is to be mentioned. Strike out the inapplicable options in the column.

8. Place of Ordinary Residence
Fill up the full and complete postal address including PIN code where you are ordinarily residing and want
to get registered, in the space provided.
Proof of ordinary residence to be attached are as under:
(i) Bank / Kisan / Post Office current Pass Book, or
(ii) Applicants Ration Card / Passport / Driving License / Income Tax Assessment Order, or
(iii) Latest Water / Telephone / Electricity / Gas Connection Bill for that address, either in the
name of the applicant or that of his / her immediate relation like parents etc., or
(iv) Postal department’s posts received / delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address.
NOTE: If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the above categories.

9. Details of Family Members Already Included in the Electoral Roll
Please fill up name and other particulars of immediate family members i.e. Father /
Mother / Brother / Sister / Spouse included in the current electoral roll of the constituency.
Name of any other relation like uncle, aunt, cousin brother / sisters etc. not to be mentioned.

10. Declaration
Please indicate date from which you are residing in the given address. In case the exact date is not known,
fill-up month and year. If your name is already included in the electoral roll of any other constituency, please write legibly the full previous address with PIN code. If you already have been issued with a Photo Identity Card by the Election Commission, please mention the card number (printed on the front side) and date of issue (printed on the back side) of the card in the space provided. Please attach a self-attested photocopy of both sides of the card.

11 .Miscellaneous 
In many places the photograph of the elector is also printed in the electoral roll. You have the option to submit one recent coloured passport-size photograph alongwith the form. The photograph will be used to print your image in the electoral roll and issue of identity card, if required.
Please also give your full name and address on the acknowledgement and intimation portions.
Please give your mobile number and E-mail I.D in the Form , which is optional , as the same ,if given, may be used by the Electoral Registration Officer for further communication with the applicant whenever required
Some of the Most frequently asked questions by the applicants and Answers Explained::
Q 1. For every constituency, there is a list of voters which is called electoral roll. What is the minimum age for enrollment in an electoral roll?
Ans. Eighteen and For every constituency, there is a voters list Article 326 of the Constitution, and Sec. 19 of R. P. Act, 1950 stipulate that the minimum age for registration of a voter is 18 years.

Q 2. Was 18 the minimum voting age in India from the beginning?
Ans. No , Earlier, the age for registration of a voter was 21 years. Through the 61st amendment Act, 1988 of the Constitution read with Act 21 of 1989 amending the R. P. Act, 1950, the minimum age of registration of a voter has been brought down to 18 years. This has been made effective from 28th March, 1989.

Q 3. Which is the relevant date for determining the age qualification of 18 years? Suppose, you have completed 18 years of age today. Can you get yourself registered as voter ?
Ans. According to Section 14 (b) of the R. P. Act, 1950, the qualifying date means the first day of January of the year in which the electoral roll is prepared or revised.

Q 4. Can a non-citizen of India become a voter?
Ans. No , A person who is not a citizen of India cannot be registered as a voter. Article 326 of the Constitution read with Sec. 16 of R. P. Act, 1950 clarify the point.

Q 5. Can a non-resident Indian citizen become a voter?
Ans. According to Section 19 of the R. P. Act, 1950, only a person who is ordinarily resident in a constituency is entitled to be registered in the electoral roll of that constituency. However, such of the non-resident Indian Citizens who are employed under Govt. of India in a post outside India are eligible to be registered as voters in terms of Sec 20 (8) (d) read with Sec 20 (3) of the R. P. Act, 1950.

Q 6. If I am working and living in Delhi, can I be a voter in my native village?
Ans. No , If you are working in Delhi and residing there, you are an ordinary resident of Delhi in terms of Sec 19 (b). Therefore you can be enrolled at Delhi only and not in your native village.

Q 7. Can one be enrolled at more than one place?
Ans. No , A person cannot be enrolled as a voter in more than one place in the same constituency or in more than one constituency in view of the provisions contained under Sec. 17 and 18 of R. P. Act, 1950.

Q 8. How can I get registered/enrolled in the Electoral Roll?
Ans. You have to submit a filled in Form - 6 to the ERO of the Assembly Constituency.

Q. 9. What is the procedure to make corrections in such names / other details that have been misspelt in the Electoral Roll?
Ans. For incorporation of corrections in the Electoral Rolls, You have to submit Form - 8 to the ERO of the Assembly Constituency.

Following are the various forms useful for registration as voter, corrections, change in address etc.
For inclusion of names Form 6
For any objection on inclusion of names Form 7
For correction of entries in the Electoral Rolls Form 8
For transposition of entry in electoral roll Form 8A

Q.10. I have shifted my residence recently. How do I ensure that I am enrolled in my new place of residence and my name is deleted from the old place?
Ans. In case the new residence is in the same constituency please fill Form 8A otherwise form 6 and submit to the ERO (SDM) or the AERO of the area of your new residence.

Q.11. I have shifted my residence recently. I have Photo EPIC Card with the old address. Can I get new EPIC Card for the present address?
Ans. First of all please ensure that you have enrolled yourself in the Electoral Roll of the concerned AC, where you are now residing following the procedure given in Ans. No.10. Subsequently, a new card at the present address will be issued to you.

Q.12. My old EPIC Card is defective. I would like to have a new EPIC Card with correct particulars. What is the procedure?
Ans. You can get your I Card rectified by depositing it in the Office of the ERO concerned or at Photography Centre when the work of preparation of Photo ID card begins.

Q.13. I do not have a ration card. Can I get enrolled without a ration card? What are the other documents, which I can show as proof of my residence?
Ans. Ration Card is not necessary, however, you can show any other proof of residence like Passport, Bank Pass Book, Driving license etc. or any Govt. document to facilitate the work of registration.

Q.14. I am a tenant and my landlord does not want me to get enrolled. How can I get enrolled as a voter?
Ans. To get enrolled in the voter list is your statutory right. Please check the Electoral roll of your area ERO (SDM)/AERO office. If your name is not included please fill up Form 6 and deposit it with the ERO.

Q.15. I have attained / will be attaining the age of 18. What proof do I need to show to get enrolled?
Ans. You can submit the proof of Date of Birth from the authorized agency (Passport, Matric certificate, Date of Birth certificate etc.)

Q.16. When I fill up Form 4, should I attach proof of my residence with Form 4?
Ans. It is not essential but if you attach a proof of residence, it will help early verification of the particulars given by you.

Q.17. An Enumerator has visited my house and taken down the details. How do I ensure that my name is finally included in the electoral rolls?
Ans. He must have handed over to you the record of Enumeration, which is your acknowledgement. You can check your name in the draft roll, which will be published and available at the office of the ERO concerned to confirm that your name exists in the roll.

Q.18. I have lost my old EPIC Card. How can I get a new EPIC Card?
Ans. You can deposit a copy of the FIR lodged at the Police Station. You will get a new EPIC Card after deposit of Rs. 25. The dates for issuing EPIC Cards are published in leading Newspapers.

Q.19. Who is responsible for the preparation of electoral rolls for a Parliamentary or Assembly Constituency?
Ans. The Electoral Registration Officer (ERO). In the case of Delhi, these are the area Sub-Divisional Magistrates/Additional District Magi-states. The Electoral Registration officer is responsible for the preparation of electoral rolls for an Assembly Constituency which itself is the roll for the Parliamentary Constituency in so far as that Assembly Segment is concerned.

Q.20. Who appoints the Electoral Registration officer?
Ans. Under section 13B of the Representation of the People Act, 1950, the Election Commission of India, in consultation with the State/UT Government, appoints an Officer of the Government or the Local Authorities as the Electoral Registration Officer. In addition, the Election Commission of India also appoints one or more Assistant Electoral Registration Officers to assist the Electoral Registration Officer in the performance of his functions in the matter of preparation/revision of electoral rolls

1 comment: